A unique social entrepreneurship initiative that guides students
on the step-by-step process of making change
With support from the Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD), W!se offers QLI as an afterschool program for students grades 9-12 who live in Brooklyn, within a one-hour travel distance from James Madison High School.
How does it work?
- Identify a real-world community issue that you care about.
- Conduct primary and secondary research to understand the problem.
- Create and implement proposals for change.
- All student projects receive recognition, and top papers can compete for college scholarships.
2022 Winner: Matthew Norris from James Madison High School for “Out of the Closet: Diminishing the Stigma of LGBTQ+ Student Mental Health with GSAs and Transition Closets.”
Why should you participate?
- You decide what to work on, and you can be an agent of change in your community.
- You gain firsthand experience conducting research and interviewing leaders and decision-makers.
- Your QLI project is an excellent extracurricular activity that can enhance your college application.
- You can compete to win a college scholarship.
When & Where:
W!se Club meets on Fridays from 3:00 – 6:00 pm and every other Saturday from 8:00 am – 12:00 pm at James Madison High School, 3787 Bedford Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11229.